Sold For: $2,010.00
Make: Saginaw S’G’. Saginaw Steering Gear Division General Motors Corporation; Grand Rapids, Michigan Facility
Model: M1 Carbine
Serial Number: 1842552
Year of Manufacture: 1942 to 1944. No specific manufacture dates are possible due to a number of reasons listed on pages 24 to 26 of Scott Duff’s book The M1 Carbine Owner’s Guide. Barrel Date 6 – 43
Caliber: .30 Carbine
Action Type: Semi Auto, Detachable Magazine
Markings: There is no visible import mark. The left side of the receiver has a rear tooling hole (under the wood) which was only used by Irwin-Pederson and Saginaw S’G’ (page 22 of Craig Riesch’s book, U.S. M1 Carbines Wartime Production 7th Edition). The top front of the receiver is marked “U.S. CARBINE / CAL. .30 M1.” and the top rear is marked “SAGINAW S’ G’ / 1842552”. The left side of the receiver is stamped “W” under the wood. The top of the barrel is marked “UNDERWOOD / 6 – 43” and “P”. Underwood did provide barrels to Irwin-Pederson & Saginaw S’ G’ (page 50). The left rear of the trigger group is marked “S’G’ ” which is a Saginaw S’ G’ mark (page 78). The hammer is marked “S’G’ ” which is a Saginaw S’ G’ mark (pages 88 & 90). The magazine release is marked “B-IP” which is an Irwin-Pederson and Saginaw S’G’ mark (page 100). The push button safety is marked “E-S’G’ ” which is a Saginaw S’ G’ mark (pages 95). The inside of the operating slide is marked “S’G’ ” which is Saginaw S’ G’ mark (page 65). The bolt is marked “S’G’ ” on the right lug which is a Saginaw S’ G’ mark (page 36). The top of the recoil plate is marked with a “SG” which is Saginaw Gear mark (page 135). The front sight is unmarked which is consistent for Saginaw S’G’ and others (page 56). The Type I rear sight is marked “B-S’G’ ” on the right which is a Saginaw S’ G’ mark (page 29) and “S” on the left which is a marking on all Type I sights (page 27). The Type IA barrel band is marked “KV-SG’ ” which is Saginaw S’ G’ mark (page 59). The sling well is marked “RSG” which was used by Saginaw S’G’, Saginaw Gear and Irwin-Pederson (page 108-109). It is also marked “44”. The inside of the handguard is marked “RSG” which is a Saginaw & Saginaw S’ G’ mark (page 138). The bottom of the butt is marked “RA-P”. This is a Raritan Arsenal – Peterson (Peterson was the chief inspector) rebuild stamping (page 183). The left rear of the butt is marked “SG in a box” next to an Ordnance Department “crossed cannons” cartouche. These are Saginaw Gear markings (page 125). The bottom of the oiler in the sling well is marked “IS” which was used by Saginaw, Saginaw S’G’, Irwin-Pederson & IBM (page 148). The rear of the magazine is marked with what resembles “E” next to “-S’G’” which is a Saginaw S’G’ marking (page 142).
Barrel Length: Approximately 18 Inches
Sights / Optics: The front sight is a bladed post. The rear sight is a Type I adjustable aperture.
Stock Configuration & Condition: The two piece hardwood stock has a pistol grip, sling well with pass through, metal buttplate and a metal barrel band with sling loop. The buttplate shows light scrapes. The left rear of the butt shows a small deeply scraped area. The grip base has chips of wood missing from the edge. The wood shows several scrapes, scratches and compression mark. Some are deep and most have been finished over. The LOP measures 13 1/2 inches from the front of the trigger to the back of the butt plate. The stock rates in about Very Good to Fine overall condition as refinished.
Type of Finish: Parkerized
Finish Originality: Arsenal Refinished
Bore Condition: The bore is semi bright and the rifling is crisp. There is some light frosting at the muzzle that should clean up. The bore shows an M.E. of 1.5.
Overall Condition: This rifle retains about 95+% of its metal finish. The bolt & right side of the receiver show light thinning from cycling. The barrel shows light scrapes. The trigger guard show small light scrapes. The markings on the barrel & front of the magazine are faded; the other markings are deep. Overall, this rifle rates in about Fine condition.
Mechanics: The action functions correctly. We have not fired this rifle. As with all previously owned firearms, a thorough cleaning may be necessary to meet your maintenance standards.
Box, Paperwork & Accessories: The rifle comes with a green canvas sling that shows some discoloration, light soiling & light fraying. The metal tabs show oxidation. It is in about Very Good to Fine condition. The rifle also comes with a 15 round magazine that shows scrapes, scratches & small dents. It is in about Very Good Plus condition. The 15 round magazine is not available to residents of California or any other jurisdiction with magazine capacity restrictions.
Our Assessment: This M1 Carbine was originally made by the Saginaw S’G’ during WWII. It is matching and is marked with lots of Saginaw S’G’ and Saginaw markings on the metal, small parts & on the stock. It has an Underwood barrel, but Underwood supplied barrels for Irwin-Pederson & Saginaw S’ G’. Let us try to clear up some confusion. Saginaw Gear and Saginaw S’G’ are the same company located in different factories. Saginaw Carbines made in Saginaw, Michigan were the SG or S.G. marked Saginaw M1s. Saginaw Carbines made in Grand Rapids, Michigan were the S’G’ marked guns. Saginaw S’G’ guns were produced from the remnants of the failed Irwin-Pedersen production facilities in Grand Rapids. Saginaw took over production in Grand Rapids and marked the facilities M1 Carbines S’G’ to differentiate them from the ones produced at the original Saginaw plant.
This Saginaw S’G’ M1 uses a rare receiver that has a “tooling hole” located on the left rear, under the wood, which was only used by Irwin-Pederson and Saginaw S’G’. A Saginaw S’G’ marked receiver is a scarce one. Saginaw S’G’ and Irwin-Pederson (same production facility) only delivered 223,620 M1 Carbines in total (page 24 of Scott Duff’s book The M1 Carbine Owner’s Guide). These are fun to shoot and are the embodiment of WWII history.
Here is some history on the Saginaw Steering Gear Division General Motors Corporation from http://m1family.com/topic22.html : “This producer of power steering, front-wheel and rear-wheel drive axles and adjustable steering columns, grew out of a company founded in 1906 in Saginaw, Michigan. Three men with last names: Jackson, Church and Wilcox created Jacox, a trade name created from all of their last names. Buick bought the Jacox facility in 1909. After being separated from Buick in 1917, the company was established as the Jackson, Church and Wilcox Division, becoming GM’s first parts manufacturing division. The name was changed to Saginaw Product Company in 1919 and to Saginaw Steering Gear Division in 1928. The brand name of the products was changed from Jacox to Saginaw in 1930. In 1985, the divisions name was shortened to Saginaw Division. During the early 1990s, the division was folded into GM’s Automotive Components Group, which in 1995 became Delphi Automotive Systems.”